Doctoral Committee Form (complete in Archivum)
Within the second year of the program, as you approach finishing your coursework, you should establish a doctoral committee. The doctoral committee will consist of a minimum of one Major Professor and two Faculty Members from the faculty of the COPH, as well as one external professional:
- Major Professor: You need a Major Professor (or co-majors) to lead your doctoral committee. This role is typically filled by your Faculty Advisor.
- Committee Members: You need two additional faculty members from the COPH to be on your doctoral committee, (one member must be from your concentration/discipline). One of these positions can also be filled by a Faculty Co-Major if you have two faculty advisors.
- External Member: In the PhD program, we require you to select at least one person outside of COPH to be your external member. That person must have a doctoral degree and may need to be credentialed by the Office of Graduate Studies to serve on your committee.
- Other members: You are welcome to have other members of the committee if your Faculty Chair recommends it.
- Additional tips on forming a committee:
- It is important that committee members work together in a collaborative and congenial manner.
- Four or five committee members is an optimal number. Greater than five committee members can result in scheduling issues.
- Once the committee is formed, the student should schedule an initial, in-person meeting with all committee members. After this initial meeting, the student and committee members may continue to meet as a group or the student may meet individually with each committee member. This is up to the student and/or committee member’s preferences and scheduling constraints.
- Committee must be composed of at least 3 COPH faculty members, and one faculty member external to the college.
DISSERTATION COMMITTEE FORM:
To get your doctoral committee approved, you must submit your committee appointment request through Archivum. Instructions can be found here. The Committee Form must be submitted at least three weeks prior to the submission of your Qualifying Exam form. If you would like to make changes to your committee , but did not submit the original form in Archivum, you will need to use this form: PhD Change of Committee Form