Who can be an Approver for the USF Guest system?
In order to qualify as an Approver within the USF Guest System for a Global Department, you must be the University Officer with direct responsibility for that department or their designee. Depending on the department this could be the Vice President, Assistant/Associate Vice President, Chair, Director, Assistant/Associate Director or their designee.
What are my responsibilities as an Approver in the USF Guest system?
As an Approver for a specific USF Global Department, all requests to register Guest’s under your Global Department will be routed to you for approval.
When you approve a Guest request, you are making a representation to USF IT that you have reviewed the information provided by the Requestor, and you are satisfied that the guest has a valid business reason to access the resources that may be provided to the guest through your Global Department.
Your specific responsibilities include the following:
- Ensure that the submitted request looks complete and reasonable prior to approval.
- Contact the Requestor prior to approval to obtain any necessary clarifying information.
- Approve the request in a timely manner after any clarifying information has been obtained. Guest requests expire after 21 days and a new request will have to be submitted after this timeframe.
- If denying a request, include sufficient information in the Comment field to explain the reason for the denial, as well as any remedial actions the Requestor should take to secure an approval.
- Immediately notify USF IT via firstname.lastname@example.org if you are no longer eligible to Approve USF Guest access for your Global Department (for example due to job changes).
Who qualifies for the USF Guest system?
An individual who requires access to certain USF resources such as a Network Account (NetID), an Email account, access to Shared Drives and Printers, or an ID Card for building access, but who does NOT already have an active affiliation (relationship) with the University, (e.g., current faculty, staff, or student) which already entitles them to request access to those resources. For example,
- Consultants or Auditors that need access to USF Systems
- Contractors, Couriers or Vendors who require building access
- Visiting students or Interns
- Researchers visiting or volunteering with USF (may require approval from IRB)
Who does NOT qualify for the USF Guest system?
They should be entered into GEMS. Please contact HR for further explanation. (Obtaining services for a new employee)
They should be entered into OASIS. Please contact the Office of the Registrar.
Visiting or Courtesy Faculty
They should be entered into GEMS. Please contact HR for further explanation. The appropriate form can be found in the Forms Library on the HR Forms site Courtesy Faculty Appt Form
They should be entered into OASIS. Please contact International Student Services.
Persons who will Travel on behalf of USF and be reimbursed for Travel expenses via Travel Module. Please use the Travel Department's form.
Non-Employees who may do "employee-like" activities
Individuals who need access to systems usually restricted to USF-paid employees, such GEMS, FAST, P-Card, or GEMS Self-Service to approve leave for USF employees (which also requires access to the MyUSF Portal). Please contact HR for further explanation. The appropriate form can be found in the Forms Library on the HR form site Non-Employee Record in GEMS Request.
Persons taking training tracked in the GEMS Training module. Please contact the HR Training Support team to have non-employees added to GEMS to use this feature.
Guest Lecturers and Conference Attendees
Please contact the IT Help Desk for guidance.
Individuals only needing temporary Wireless Access
Guest Wireless Service
Recently Terminated Employees
For purposes of retaining access to services, such as email or library electronic resources, which are usually provided to employees. Exceptions to this may be granted if appropriate justification is provided supporting the need to retain access.
If you have additional questions, please email email@example.com
How do I Approve (or Deny) one or more Guest requests?
Approvers will be notified by email to review a Guest request, once it has been submitted by the Requestor. The request can be accessed for review either directly from the email notification, or from the My Tasks section on the Archivum Home page.
- Navigate to the USF Portal https://my.usf.edu
- Select Business Systems > Archivum
- Under the My Tasks section click on the request you want to approve.
- Click Accept at the top right of the request to accept the task.
- Click either Approve or Deny as appropriate for the request. Please note that a denied request cannot be remediated and returned to you. The requestor must submit a new request.
Detailed directions for approving a request are available at NetID Guest Account Process
Back to top