This article provides instructions for mapping the UStoreFiles (S:) drive using either a Windows 8/10 or Mac OS X computer. UStoreFiles is the central file storage location at USF for students. Using their NetID, students have access to a centralized file storage system that is also used by MyWeb, the Application Gateway, and CIRCE. You can access UStoreFiles from off-campus by using the VPN and mapping the drive to your computer.
If you are off-campus, you MUST connect to the VPN before you can map the UStoreFiles drive to your computer.
Click here for information on using the VPN.
You can also access UStoreFiles off-campus through FileZilla. To access UStoreFiles through FileZilla, click here and follow the steps to connect to MyWeb. MyWeb and UStoreFiles use the same storage, so accessing one through FileZilla is the same as accessing the other.
Windows 8/10 Instructions...
- Right click on the Start Menu.
- Select the File Explorer option.
This will open the This PC window.
- Click the Computer tab.
- Select the Map network drive option.
- Select S: from the Drive drop-down list.
- Input \\UStoreFiles.usf.edu\NetID into the Folder field. (Note: Replace "NetID" with your NetID username i.e. \\UStoreFiles.usf.edu\rbull.)
- Check the Connect using different credentials check-box.
- Type Forest\NetID in the User name field (Note: Replace the "NetID" in "Forest\NetID" with your NetID username i.e. Forest\rbull.)
- Type your NetID password in the Password field.
- Check the Remember my credentials check-box
- Click OK.
Your UStoreFiles network drive will be located in the "Network locations" section on the "This PC" window.
While trying to map this drive, you may encounter an error message like the one pictured below:
If you do, then you will need to enable the SMB1 protocol within Windows before you can connect to this drive. To do so, follow the steps below:
- Search in the start menu for ‘Turn Windows features on or off’ and open it
- Search for ‘SMB1.0/CIFS File Sharing Support’ in the list of optional features that appears, and select the checkbox next to it.
- Click OK and Windows will add the selected feature.
You’ll be asked to restart your computer as part of this process
- Click the Go tab in the top-left corner of your Desktop.
- Select the Connect to Server option.
- Input smb://UStoreFiles.usf.edu/NetID in the Server Address field (Note: Replace "NetID" with your NetID username i.e. smb://UStoreFiles.usf.edu/rbull .)
- Click Connect.
- Input Forest\NetID and your NetID password in the Name and Password fields, respectively. (Note: Replace the "NetID" in "Forest\NetID" with your NetID username i.e. Forest\rbull.)
- Check the Remember this password in my keychain check-box
- Click Connect.
- Go to the Shared section of the Finder window and locate your UStoreFiles network drive
- Open the folder titled with your NetID to access your UStoreFiles drive. (An example of this folder is denoted by the Red Arrow in the image below.)